[OM] JMDC Stickers was Sick Puppies?

Subject: [OM] JMDC Stickers was Sick Puppies?
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:15:38 -0000
Walt Wayman wrote

>Subject: Re: [OM] Sick Puppies?
>
>This brings up another subject dear to my heart.  Am I the only
>one who peels those little gold, football-shaped (American
>football) "Passed" stickers off as soon as I take whatever it is
>out of the box?  A few months ago I bought an OM-1n.  The camera
>looked nearly new, and that stupid little sticker looked even
>newer, still stuck to the side of the pentaprism.  It had to have
>been there -- what? -- a quarter century?"

I'm also irritated by these stickers. I once asked a friend why he left the
sticker on his new camera (where it was rapidly turning gooey). He said "Oh
well, It shows mine has passed all its tests".

Well, one hopes any camera sold new through a reputable dealer has passed all
its factory tests.

As I understand it JMDC sticker is a Japanese industry approval to show that
the design (not the individual item has reached certain standards). A bit like
CE marking is in Europe. I believe the manufacturer does in fact submit every
batch produced for sampled testing (13 units out of every thousand in the
batch). If the sample pass, then all the units can have a JMDC sticker. In that
respect it is more stringent than CE marking.

As to the downside. I can sympathise with Walt taking the sticker off his 25
year old OM1n. My OM2n (1982 vintage) had one when I bought it four years ago.
On taking it, off the chrome had definitely discoloured underneath. It's not
obvious, but visible if I look.

Presumably someone buying  a new camera as a collector (do people really do
that?) would leave the sticker in place, damaging the surface. Is the camera
then still mint?

Chris Barrett
Malvern