[OM] Skewiness part 3

Subject: [OM] Skewiness part 3
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:55:11 -0800 (PST)
I spent some quality time last night with my OM-2S and OM-4
trying to figure why the frames are slightly skewed.

My "test roll" of seattle film wks (garbage) loaded and settled
in just like it did in the OM-4.  I compared every possible
thing. The film cassette fit and moved up and down just the
same.  It hit the takeup spindle and sprocket the same.  The
alignment pins were the same.  I did retension the pressure
plate as it was slightly less "energetic" than the OM-4's.
Also, I retensioned the film cassette springs in the film back
too as they sagged about 2mm in comparison.

It appeared that as more of the roll was accumulating on the
take-up spindle the more it kept riding up to the top of the
chamber.

If I placed a folded piece of paper under the spindle of the
film cassette it would shove the cassette to the top of the
chamber and would keep the film travelling straight across the
guides.  However, if the cassette were to settle down at the
bottom of the chamber (closest to the motor drive) the film
would not only travel at an angle across the film guides, but
would buckle a little bit in front of the exposure window.  With
the shutter open and the back closed I could see the film not
laying flat when looking through the front of the camera.  This
could explain why I've gotten some pictures that were partially
out of focus.

If I folded the film tip before inserting in the take-up spindle
so the film rolled tighter on the spindle that helped
marginally, but was no guarantee.

In doing A-B comparisons I could find nothing different in the
two cameras but the OM-4's film tracked straight even with the
film riding high and low on the spindle.

Am I cursed to using a folded piece of thin plastic to hold the
cassette up in the camera?  Am I missing something else?

AG-not quite even keeled-Schnozz