RE: [OM] New Snow

Subject: RE: [OM] New Snow
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 02:44:52 +0000
At 00:04 2/1/02, Tom Trottier wrote:
Some solutions:
[excellent suggestions snipped out]

In addition:

Allow more time for working slowly: I use a tripod for making night photographs and using the shift lens, and have not let very cold Winter weather deter me. Metal tripods *will* suck the warmth out of hands quickly, even when heavily gloved and I've had to allow time for them to warm up again. I've suffered mild frostbite on several occasions in the past (in the military). As a result my hands in particular have been "sensitized" requiring care to warm them periodically.

Prepare as much beforehand before stepping out into the cold: Put QR plates and chosen lens onto the camera body (if you know what lens will be used). Working small hardware, changing lenses and loading film is a real PITA in sub-freezing weather.

Consider using "mechanical" cameras for working long time periods: Electronic shutters have a bad habit of quitting after the cells that power them get too cold (been there; done that). They recover when warmed back to "room temperature" and there are alternatives using cells kept in an inner pocket with wires running to the camera body. I've found the "remote cell" solution cumbersome as the camera body is "tied" to mine with the risk of ripping the wires out, especially when the camera is on the tripod and I'm moving around adjusting things. A mechanical camera (OM-1n or OM-3[ti]) avoids this.

Buy a "soft touch" shutter button which screws into the release and is
bigger and easier to find.

Be careful when using one of these. Same applies to anything that screws into the shutter release: cable releases and mechanical self-timers included. John H. will verify that misuse or abuse can damage an OM's shutter release.

In addition to some other suggestions I also have some thin nomex/leather aviation gloves occasionally used as "liners" inside heavier ones. They keep my hands warmer longer when the heavy gloves are removed temporarily. I can feel camera controls through them. The U.S. version of these are a gray or gray/green color and can likely be found in military surplus stores.

Dress Warmly. It is possible to be comfortable in even the most severe
conditions. If you aren't physically comfortable your photographic talents
are likely to suffer.

How true this is. Moisture is the enemy. The first principle in staying warm is keeping dry. If clothing is damp, even slightly, no quantity of it will keep a person warm.

-- John