RE: [OM] New Snow

Subject: RE: [OM] New Snow
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:04:28 -0500
Some solutions:
        Adapt:  get your hands used to cold thru the change of season by, when
outside, putting on mitts only when they get really cold.
        Layer: Wear some thin gloves inside mitts. Use the mitts except when
you
have to change some fine setting.I suggest putting your mitts on a string
thru your sleeves so they can hang down when off your hands.  Some gloves
are thin on one side (for feeling) and thick on the other (for warmth).
        Use auto: So you don't have to make manual adjustments except focus.
        Relieve: Hold your cold hands in your armpits whenever you're not
taking a
picture.
        Customise:
                Adapt some thin gloves by sewing extra insulation on the
outside of them.
                Punch a hole thru your thick glove's trigger finger for the
shutter
release to meet your finger.
                Customise your focus ring by adding a hose clamp for easy
moving while
using a glove.
                Buy a "soft touch" shutter button which screws into the release
and is
bigger and easier to find.

Wear good warm boots. Bring along a Thermos of hot soup. (Coffee and
alcohol are counterproductive; they make you less able to maintain your
body warmth!) And, if it's really cold, consider some supplementary heating
devices, such as skiers use - plastic packets of chemicals that can warm
the hands or feet when they are kneaded, or even battery heated insoles for
your boots. You need thick gloves, but these are not great when it comes to
pressing the small buttons on your camera. So consider gloves sold in
backpacking stores that have fingertips or mittens that can be folded back
so that you can momentarily use your bare fingers.
(from http://www.nyip.com/tips/topic_coldtemps01.html )

Dress Warmly. It is possible to be comfortable in even the most severe
conditions. If you aren't physically comfortable your photographic talents
are likely to suffer.
Chemical Hand warmers are small and inexpensive. Once activated, they will
stay warm for up to 6 hours. They can warm hands, battery packs, and camera
bodies and are a valuable addition to an equipment list for cold weather
activities. There is also a type of rechargeable hand warmer, which doesn't
last as long, but may be recharged many times by placing it in boiling
water.
I often use neoprene gloves. I have found them in sporting goods stores
where they are often grouped with sport fishing accessories. While they
won't keep your hands warm in real cold weather, they are flexible enough
to allow one to operate a camera easily. Some people prefer gloves which
have slits in them, allowing the ends of fingers or thumbs to be exposed
and used.
(from http://www.usefilm.com/articles/SteveKaufman/index.php )

Tom

On Thursday, January 31, 2002 at 16:37, Daniel J. Mitchell
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>