Re: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Don't need no stinking OM-2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:00:27 -0800 (PST)
> "In manual mode, spot meter a high value, spot
> meter a low value and adjust exposure so that both dots fall
> within the exposure range of the film.  "
>
> How does one know the exposure range of the film using the
> dots on the OM 4
> meter?

You guess?  Experience and reading.  Transparencies have about a
5 stop range from pitch black to washout white.  Depending on
the film and processing, B&W can have twice that many stops.

The OM-4 has indicator marks at the +/- 2-stop points.  If you
keep the two dots within the four stop range you will be quite
sure of capturing everything you want.  Unfortunately the spot
meter of the OM-4(t) isn't narrow enough for really serious spot
metering of many scenes, so you can figure that the spot meter
is probably a half-stop off on either end of the spectrum (not
dark enough for the low value, not bright enough for the high
value).

For zone work, the multispot metering in manual exposure mode
rocks.  We could probably write a couple chapters about it.  Not
tonight, though.

AG-zoning-Schnozz