Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Focus vs. Mirror Lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:11:21 -0800
Hi Charles,

Two things I didn't see mentioned in the other answers:

- Someone mentioned that f8 is a 'reasonable' aperture. At 500mm, f8 has very little depth of field, making certain shots impossible. Conventional teles may require tripods (as does real sharpness), but the f-stop required for adequate DOF and associated shutter speed often require it anyway.

+ Mirror lenses usually focus quite a bit closer than regular teles.

I have 350/5.6 and 500/8 Tamron SPs which are great to carry for 'in-case', but I use my Tokina AT-X 150-500mm/5.6 for any serious long lens work. I also have a 1000/11 mirror, but that gets into the territory where the state of the atmosphere becomes almost more important than the lens. Ths Tokina also focuses closer than most conventional 500mm teles, 2.5m, 1:3.5.

Moose

Sometimes what looks like atmosphere is merely lack of contrast due to the design. I saw some slides projected once with shots with 1000mm Nikon reflector compared with a 1000mm Leica refractor and the differences were not subtle. The Leica shots were richly colored and contrasty while the Nikon shots looked like multigeneration copies with no color and no contrast. I know Nikon knows how to make good lenses too, so I think it was the difference in design. When contrast and color saturation are marginal anyway and a long shot through the atmosphere will completely wipe it out.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California