Re: [OM] AF and sports

Subject: Re: [OM] AF and sports
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:42:56 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:13:18 -0600, Sue Pearce wrote:

>It's pretty much impossible to pre focus to a spot and await the
>appearance of the basketball, or car.

Au contraire! You know the action is going to come to the goal at a
basketball game. Pick your spot, pre-focus on the net, and then draw
your imaginary sphere  of spots roughly equidistant from where you
are standing. Baseball's even easier - focus on the base, the plate,
or the pitcher's mound and wait for something to happen.

None of this precludes being quick on your feet and able to jump to
another spot on the court to grab a shot when the action changes, but
many sports are very predictable.

Volleyball gives me the most difficulty, but I'd learned to work with
a little bit wider DOF, pick a player, and follow her. Alternately,
if I'm positioned with a good view of the net, a pre-focus at the
center of the net requires only a minimal nudge to catch action on
other end or side. If I shot as many v-ball games as I do b-ball
games, I suspect I'd also develop a better feel for the action and be
able to predict action better.
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co