Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 00:25:50 +1300
Hi Don,

Thanks for your thought. I actually got there fine with industrial strength
methylated spirit with no additives I could see.

There were other suggestions from the list; perhaps the most meritorious
were for that window-clean blue solvent "Windex";  or Windolene" made by
Johnson & Johnson.

Using any detergent that behaves like a dishwashing detergent would bother
me a lot. They leave their own sticky deposit. From years of experience hand-
washing dishes <g> especially trying to get wine-glasses free of detergent, I
know it requires lots and lots of rinse water to shift the detergent after it
has
done its job. And even then one can't be quite sure. They stick around for
yonks. So how would I get lots and lots of rinse-water in the back of a lens
and out again without causing extra problems? And would the detergent
sneak around the side of the lens in the mount and give rise to a new set of
problems?

I dissolved the oil film in the "pure" meths applied gently with a cotton bud
and padded the solution softly off without delay. Repeat two more times. All
done. Final dry on its own by evaporation. And the glass looks clear. I *think*
that since the cotton bud was lubricated with meths, any potential abrasion
of the glass by the cotton would be minimal or practically non-existent.

Brian