Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning oily films off of glass
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:19:04 -0800
I'm with Larry, sort of. What do I use to remove grease from hands and pans - detergent, that's what it's for. Years ago I saw damage to lens coatings from people using lens tissue and rubbing. I happen to have always been an office worker with soft (sissy?) hands. So I started using detergent and water, official lens cleaning solution when available, liquid hand soap otherwise, and the wonderful little ridges on the edges of my fingers. Fingers are wonderfully sensitive, so I can feel of there is anything gritty and avoid rubbing it in. Rinse with soft or distilled water and it's clean.

I've never seen any damage from this approach, have I just been lucky? All those solvents sound more dangerous. Of course, I always blow everything loose off with Dust-Off or some such first.

Moose

Larry wrote:

Windex.

Larry

I tried removing this by huffing on the element and wiping with Oly lens
paper, but that really didn't work. The muck just spread around a bit more.  It
needs an organic solvent.

These solvents will not affect lens coatings, but be very gentle with the
Q-Tips.

Joe Gwinn