Re: [OM] archiving... how to make a contact proof with a scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] archiving... how to make a contact proof with a scanner
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:45:19 -0500
You can get acceptable digital contact sheets by three methods that I can think of:

1. Normal reflective flatbed scanner with negatives in a full-page sleeve:
a. Use a white background and scan at 300dpi, Invert the image in Photoshop. (I've gotten so-so results like this.) b. Use a piece of glass on the platen and a diffuse source such as light table above the scanner. This sounds nice, but I haven't had the time to try it. c. If you have a high-end flatbed scanner, you can use the 8x10 tranparancy options, but few of us have access to those expensive machines.

2. Roll-film options on Nikon scanners - This works well to scan a roll at a time , but not when you've already cut up the negatives.

3. Put the negatives on a light table, cover them with glass, and shoot them with a Digital Camera. This looks like the easiest option, but I haven't tried it yet.

IMO, the "best" option is to do normal, darkroom contact sheets. It's cheap and easy to see your mistakes. All the digital options seem very convoluted.

Skip