Re: [OM] Two technical questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Two technical questions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:43:29 -0800
Issues I am thinking about:

1. I just actually read the instructions that came with my A-200 teleconverter and B-300 teleconverter (I use them on the Olympus 2100 uz dig cam). The instructions say that there is NO affect on aperture when using them. How is this possible? I thought a TC always affected the amount of light coming in.

2. This is a digital camera question. My 2100uz has a 10x optical zoom. Why is it that most dig cams are 2,3, or 4 x optical zoom. Even the amazing E20 is just 4x. Is there a physical limitation of some sort?

Enjoy the day!!!

-Bill

A general rule of thumb is the greater the zoom ratio and the greater the number of lens elements the worse is the quality of the image. The 35-80/2.8, when reviewed by Popular Photography, was found to the best zoom they had ever tested up to that time. Less than a 3x ratio. The German photo magazines call the 10x type "Suppen Zooms" because it is like looking through soup. The general ranking of image quality from best to worst (assuming equivalent effort in design and production)is single focal length to short zoom to long zoom. Recent improvements in lens design and manufacture have reduced the differences quite a bit especially between single focal lengths and really good(expensive) short zooms, but a cheap, long zoom is still a guarantee of poorer images. But many people value convenience more and their use of the images does not require higher quality.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California