RE: [OM] Film Processing

Subject: RE: [OM] Film Processing
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:49:04 -0600
>===== Original Message From "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>At 02:23 1/29/02, Joel Wilcox:
>>I read over the weekend that film was to be exempted from irradiation.  I'm
>>going to order film as I did before and get mailers with it.

>Joel,
>
>*If* this is true (I'm rather skeptical about it) I predict:
>(a)  *Everything* being mailed will suddenly be labeled "film" by its
>sender(s) without regard to size, shape or weight, including postcards!
>(b)  Exemption of film will last only as long as it takes for the USPS to
>discover they're no longer handling anything but film, regardless of its
>size, shape or weight, including postcards!  Might require a "kick-start"
>from "60 Minutes" or "48 Hours" to bring it to their attention though.
>
>Same basic phenomenon as the eSIF and the feeding frenzy by hordes to
>download the entire eSIF.
>
>-- John

John,
I'm unable to find the article on the Register's site (I read it in the dead
tree format), which means it was probably from AP or another agency. The gist
of the article is that *seeds* which are a big deal in our two states could no
longer be sent through the mail if irradiated. Irradiating film is a nuisance
to us crusty old analog folks, but destroying seeds is a threat to national
security.

Film and magnetic storage items were on a list of exemptions, along with about
two dozen other items.

While doing a brief google search in the abortive attempt to find the source
of the article, I see that the USPS is trying to get out of the responsibility
of irradiating mail altogether.  Personally, I think the irradiation scheme is
falling apart.

Daring to be hopeful,
Joel W.