RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline

Subject: RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:36:37 -0700
At 09:31 AM 25/01/2002 +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:

[snip]

>The issue with free webspace is not so much the limited amount of space
>(which is easily overcomeable by splitting the site over 6 accounts or so),
>but rather the bandwidth restrictions. "Free" webspace is never without any
>ties/conditions: typically if the free space provider feels a page consumes
>too much bandwidth, the plug is pulled relentlessly.
>
>So far, I think Tom Scales' offer is by far the best, 10GB a month is very
>good (though even TOPE already consumes quite a few GBs in bandwidth).
>Garth, how high is the bandwidth consumage?

Olaf:

I've been unable to run a direct logfile analysis, but the first indication
that something was wrong was simply the size of the logfile -- 700 Megabytes
for around ten months' worth of traffic!  I can't even download that to analyze
it locally, even with my ADSL connection, so I'll have to get analog (or some
other analyzer) working on the server.  My tech admin did a "tail" on the last
400 lines of the log after turning the webserver off temporarily, noticed that
his network came back up, and then, when he turned the webserver back on,
noticed that the network disappeared again.  Hmmmmmm.  Can you say "Holy crap,
Batman"?

I'll try to get a more accurate analysis ASAP, but until then, consider what I
said before -- bandwidth's going to be the killer in any event.

Garth