RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline

Subject: RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:59:40 -0500
Tom

On Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 23:46, Jon Mitchell
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] Olympus e-SIF is offline" saying:
> I do know that with most ISP's you get a small amount of web space provided
> for free.  How about we each take a "section" of the e-sif and host that
> section.  One member (I suggest whoever was running it before) has a single
> page, with links to all the other individual pages.  Sure, it would take a
> while longer to download each page, but that's better than nothing, right ?
> As someone pointed out - the e-sif is the single most useful tool available
> to us (although I may personally say that our OM's are the most useful tool,
> and the e-sif is the 2nd most useful !!)  :)

I've created a Yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation/

Anyone can put the files in the Files area, but big PDFs will have to go
elsewhere, as there is a 20 MB limit.

Links to the PDFs can be put in the Bookmarks section.

Yahoo groups also limits individual files to 5120 MB

> > I regret to inform the Olympus Mailing List that the Olympus e-SIF,
> > hosted for 9 - 10 months now on my company's servers, is being turned
> > off.
> > This unfortunate development arises because of twin classic economic
> > problems: "free riders" and "tragedy of the commons".  Bandwidth usage for
> > people attempting to download the *entire* e-SIF exceeded 90-950f all
> > available bandwidth for which my company pays.  This has resulted in
> > others being unable to access the servers for their mail, restricted Web
> > access for other clients, and so forth.  I was informed of this problem
> > this A.M., and immediately instructed our techs to switch the e-SIF off.

Garth, is there any way you can schedule access to non-work times, e.g. 7pm
to 7am, replacing the esif pages with a simple page that says try back
then?

And could you upload the web site (except PDFs) to the Files section of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Olympus-Documentation/
(Yes, I think it has to be done 1 by 1....)

Anyone can view the files. Only members can upload.

Tom