[OM] what happend to my flash shots?!

Subject: [OM] what happend to my flash shots?!
From: Acer/Siddiq <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:21:09 -0800
hey all;

this past wkend, i was de facto unofficial photographer for my cousin's
engagement (no worries, the
groom's side took photos as well, as did the bride's younger bro...following my
lead, but often covering up
the lens or flash of their camera w/ his hands! OUCH).

I used fuji NPS and T32 w/ home made plastic piece diffuser fit in front of the
tube. as measured by my
gossen light meter, it showed a light reduction of about 2/3 stop, so i rounded
it up to 1 stop loss. Used T32
normal auto, shooting distance varying between 8-12 ft mostly, 50/1.4 at f/8.
the diffuser bit was RIGHT in
front of the tube, it did not interfere in any way with the thrystor sensor in
the "O"lympus. However, the
prints came out muddy and basically trashed, and the negs aren't dense, meaning
underexposure, probably
by at least a stop.

what did i do wrong? last formal occasion, since it was in our house, i just
bounced the T32 off the ceiling
(which by experiment i determined needed +3 stops) and things worked like
magic...everyone LOVED the
lighting and how flattering it made them look ;) since this was in a hall, i
couldn't bounce off ceiling, so i
went the diffuser route..with heartbreaking results no less.

can anyone figure out what i did wrong? hopefully i provided enough info, if
not, just ask. i really would like
to get some nice shots of the entire extended family when we all gather this
spring for the wedding.

FYI, the diffuser was carved from a slightly curved piece of plastic from a
rubbing alcohol bottle, such that it
snapped nicely into the dovetail groove on the flash head.

on a side note, should i decide i'm up to the task of unofficial sideline
wedding photog, i might have to
borrow a lens or diffuser from a listie!

/A/S
--
dum spiro, spero
http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/