RE: [OM] Zuiko 24mm/2.8 vs 28mm/2.

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko 24mm/2.8 vs 28mm/2.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:04:43 -0800
Keep in mind that there can be very marked sample to  sample differences in
the quality of image formed by any single lens model. If you have a 28/2.8
which makes not so good pictures, it might just be the individual lens and
not hold true for all samples.

This was part of the driving force behind Gary Reese's very extensive
testing effort of OM mount lenses - there was so much variation that he
wanted to identify the  best sample to keep for his own use.  I don't know
if this is true with all brands of lenses, or particularly with the Zuikos,
but you need to keep it in mind.

Chip Stratton

I really don't think Olympus had problems building lenses of consistent quality. I tend to think that the variation is due to abuse to used lenses. I really doubt there are any variations in new versions of the same lens that Gary could measure using his methods. They are subjective ratings after all. That old sample variation excuse that Modern Camera and others used to explain variations in their results was, in my opinion, just an excuse for their poor and inconsistent test methods. I thought buying used was really neat until I came to this list and heard all the self repair stories shared and applauded while I cringed in horror. Now I realize it is really a crap shoot to buy a used lens and Gary's tests bear it out. Right now the next lens someone on the list buys on auction is likely to have been disassembled by a curious teenager and somehow after several tries gotten it back together so that it functions after a fashion.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA