Re: [OM] [OT] Light pollution - Was [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] H

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Light pollution - Was [OM] [OT] Where I live - was [OM] How to photograph starry night skys?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:56:36 -0600

For the $5.00 a month that the electric company charges, I feel that the
amount
of motion detectors and switches required would be cost-prohibitive.
Yes, there's the barn, there's the shed, there's the quonset hut, there's
the
garage, there's the old farm house, there's the camper and, there's the
pond.

Being familiar with "X-10" brand motion detectors and modules, you would
need
a "crap-load" of these and smart-repeaters and additional wiring to make the
light
come on at a useful distance.
Which, is further away than one might think - especially if you are headed
back from the fields, towards the light and, using the sillouettes to avoid
objects (such as fence posts and barbed wire).

Plus, one does not want to walk 1/2 mile to trigger or switch same because
you
were out in the field when darkness arrives.

These lights are currently wired directly into the poles and not through the
meter.
It is illegal for the customer to bypass the meter.  Not to mention a tad
tricky
and dangerous.  If you are were to go through the meter, then you would
have to purchase your own sodium vapor lamp (at roughly $70.00 for the
larger ones) and, still pay almost $5.00 in electricity a month to power
them
(dusk to dawn).  In addition, you are now responsible for maintanence.
I don't know about you but, I don't have a bucket lift to change the bulbs.

It would be illegal, according to the 1999 National Electric Code (NEC) and
the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) besides being
dangerous to install switches without corresponding breakers.

Since these would likely be located outside, these would have to
be enclosed weather-proof switches.  I would estimate $25-$30 minimum
(contractors cost) for a pilot-lighted switch and weather-proof cover.
These would all have protected by ground-fault interrupters also.

Jon

P.S.  They only shine on my property.  The tiny bit that doesn't, my other
neighbor is grateful for as, he just uses his property for hunting and,
doesn't
have electricity.

http://www.co.deschutes.or.us/cdd/curplanning/index.cfm?fuseaction=lightingf