Re: [OM] A good tripod?

Subject: Re: [OM] A good tripod?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:20:17 +0000

It seems everybody when mentioning tripods, don't forget to use the word
"good".

Why does it always have to be a *good* tripod?

A *good* tripod is rigid and sturdy. It doesn't vibrate, flex or twist easily even with the heaviest load you place on its head.

Why can't I use a cheap plastic tripod? (which is also much lighter)
Isn't it just a thing where you put your camera, so it doesn't shake when
you take the picture?

What is the big deal?
Am I missing something?

You have the explanation in your question: "so it doesn't shake when you take the picture."

For the purpose of this posting I'll define a "cheap" tripod as one of the overpriced models commonly found in the camera section of Meijer, Wal-Mart, K-Mart or [fill in the name of your favorite discount department store]-Mart. The legs flex and the tripod twists too easily. Play with one of their display models (but don't break it) and then go to a large camera store and play with a Bogen 3021 leg set or comparable Gitzo. The Bogen 3021 is one of the most popular, very sturdy portable tripods, it puts the camera at eye level *without* extending the center column (an extended center column is yet another source of flexing), and it's among the less expensive leg sets among the pro-grade tripod makers. Yes, it's noticeably heavier than the "cheap" variety, especially after you add a Bogen all-metal head, but it's also noticeably sturdier and will last much, much longer.

Folded up, a pro grade tripod with head also makes a marvelous self-defense weapon when doing late night architectural shooting in the downtown areas of very large cities. I have no fear of damaging my Bogen using it in that manner and I could quickly get back to making photographs. Lesser "consumer grade" tripods would bend or break.

-- John