Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:26:14 -0600
> I think it was Customs BS.
>
> AS far as I know, metal detection works in the way it is used in submarine
> detection and for detecting cars to trigger traffic lights; loops of wire
under /
> around that detect anything that carries residual magnetism (or responds
> a magnetic field?)
>
> I don't believe it is in any way as harmful as X-rays.
>
> Yes, I am out of practice travelling overseas. My last trip was around the
> world;  OZ - Singapore - Netherlands - UK - Continental USA (E & W)  -
> Hawaii - NZ;  in 1990. Things have changed a lot since.
>
> But I noticed also that somebody wrote in the last day or so that they had
> good results from lead-lined bags. Anybody else?

I've also heard that they really have to crank up the x-ray machines to max
power when when they get something like a lead-lined-bag that
they can't see through so, they may get more than the typical dosage.

Rest is B-S.  Just sophisticated metal detectors pure and simple.
Certainly nothing dangerous to anything/anyone.