[OM] Film Xrays at airports etc

Subject: [OM] Film Xrays at airports etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:53:14 +1300
I think it was Customs BS.

AS far as I know, metal detection works in the way it is used in submarine
detection and for detecting cars to trigger traffic lights; loops of wire under
/
around that detect anything that carries residual magnetism (or responds to
a magnetic field?)

I don't believe it is in any way as harmful as X-rays.

Yes, I am out of practice travelling overseas. My last trip was around the
world;  OZ - Singapore - Netherlands - UK - Continental USA (E & W)  -
Hawaii - NZ;  in 1990. Things have changed a lot since.

But I noticed also that somebody wrote in the last day or so that they had
good results from lead-lined bags. Anybody else?

Brian

> It may have been the usual customs BS, but on a trip to the US last year I
> did just that - put the plastic cannisters in my pockets and walked through
> the
> metal detecting machine myself.  On hearing the thing go off they then carry
> out
> a hand inspection of anything in your pockets and make you wealk through again
> without said items.  The bloke then told me that the "walk through" machines
> are
> far worse for the film than the ones the bags go through.
>
> Not sure if this is true or not.  Set my BS alarm off, as the machine the
> bags go through has lead curtains, etc., and big flashy lights when the
> x-rays are on, and big "Danger" signs.  If the walk-through machine is
> worse, how come we don't get fried ?!!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.