Re: [OM] Airports & Film- just be confident!

Subject: Re: [OM] Airports & Film- just be confident!
From: "--p.j." <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:57:54 -0500
>I've been scanning the last few archives and getting the
>general idea that these days film is pretty much screwed, as it seems that
>no one will hand-check it anymore.

That's not true.  I haven't been following this thread, but I had very
little trouble getting my film checked recently.  I flew from Honolulu to
Lihue, Kauai and back again.  I also flew from Honlulu to Midway Atoll
(considered international) and from Honolulu to Lex, KY via St. Louis.
Maybe it is just the nice people in Hawaii, but I have had better luck
asking for a hand check of film after 9/11 than b/f.
I open all my film and repackage it in Fuji's transluscent film containers.
Next, I carefully bag it in ziplocks so that it lays flat.  I think both
steps are important b/c it allows them to look at every roll of film.  Only
once did they open up every single canister.  Most of the time they just
looked at the bag or opened up one canister.
I also never ask for a hand check, like they would be doing me a favor.  I
tell them I need a hand check of _professional_ film while offereing a sweet
smile and slightl southern accent :-)  If they ask about speed, I tell them
that I carry 25 to 800 ISO (which I had) and that speed doesn't matter when
it comes to professional film.
...just be confident, patient and polite...

HTH,
--p.j.

BTW, I was going to get some Provia 100F in Hawaii, but the cheapest I could
find was over $11.00/roll.  Provia 400F was something like $18.00/roll.  I'd
rather my film get x-rayed than pay that much.