Re: [OM] what size lens for whale watching?

Subject: Re: [OM] what size lens for whale watching?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:48:18 -0800
If the whales don't show or you get tired of them, I highly recommend a walk down the trail to Abbot's Lagoon. Every time I go down there I see something magical. Once we saw through binocs some weird furry thing bouncing toward us. Suddenly it stopped and something stuck up behind it. It turned out to be a weasel carrying a dead gopher home for (family?) dinner. It looked like the gopher weighed more than the weasel. It would run a few feet down the trail with the gopher bouncing in it's mouth, then stand straight up to catch it's breath and scout for danger. Last stop was about a foot from my foot before it noticed me and bolted into the underbrush. We moved away and it came back for it's prize. It was taking a huge risk running down the open trail with Red Tail hawks cruising around. Carrying a crossways gopher through the tunnels through the thick underbrush would have been awfully difficult. I didn't get a picture because we froze as it came close to avoid scaring it off.

Last visit it was a Muskrat in the lagoon, the mysterious chair mounted to the beach and huge tree base and roots rolling in the surf and amazing color of the cliffs at sunset. Oh, and Quail and Jackrabbits and local variation White-crowned Sparrows. Too dark by the time the Jackrabbits came out, and a shame 'cause their fur is an amazing blend or colors, but I got pics of everything else. The Muskrat was really special as the Audubon Guide doesn't show their range extending that far. The views on the south part of the peninsula are spectacular, but I've seen more interesting flora and fauna to the north. I saw the rare and endangered California Red-headed Garter snake once on the north point trail.

Moose

Richard F. Man wrote:

Going to a field trip w/ the kids to Point Reyes. Whale watching suppose to be good, although we will be on land, not out there in the sea...

So what size lens do I need? 1000mm? I guess a 4x converter on the 200/4 will do it eh :-)?

// richard http://www.imagecraft.com