Re: [OM] what size lens for whale watching?

Subject: Re: [OM] what size lens for whale watching?
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:11:54 -0600
> Going to a field trip w/ the kids to Point Reyes. Whale watching suppose
> be good, although we will be on land, not out there in the sea...
>
> So what size lens do I need? 1000mm? I guess a 4x converter on the 200/4
> will do it eh :-)?

That'll do it...  Lots of glass for 800mm.   You're already at a f16
equivalent and,
I like to stop down at least one with a teleconverter.
Gonna be dark in that viewfinder so, bring some binocs and make sure where
the
whale is :)

I'd really recommend about a 500mm mirror lens.  With a 2x converter - if
needed.
And a tripod - of course - in any case.

Of course, you got to go with what you've got....  Take everything!