Re: [OM] HELP! Did I ruin my roll??

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP! Did I ruin my roll??
From: "Jon Wichman" <jwichman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:57:03 -0600
> OK, 2 major problems I need help on!
>
> 1)  At the car show, I took some pics; and while walking out, I switched
> hands holding my camera, to get another lens out of my bag, and I heard a
> click, and the rear door opened!  It didn't open all the way, I had the
> camera in my right hand, but it "unclipped" from the door latch!  I can't
> believe it!  I freaked out!..  I'd say maybe 4mm was the door opening..
and
> I quickly closed it... but did I get stray light into my camera??  Did I
> ruin my roll?

Unless, you closed it quick like 1/60'th of a second!  Yes your ruined your
roll.  Take it someplace where you don't have to pay if it doesn't come out
if you
want to...

> 2)  I "thought" I had a roll of 24 in there...  So I'm clicking away.. and
> I'm at 24.  Click, the film still advances..  click, 25.. click, 26...
> click, 27... Hmm... I don't buy rolls of 36 (except in taiwan where there
> are only 36's) and so I'm thinking.. something is wrong.. what should I
> do???  I turned the rewind crank, and the film was tight.. So should I
keep
> clicking to 36??  Anything else you guys can suggest??  Or should I just
> take the loss, and just rewind the roll??

Does the rewind crank move when you advance the film?
If the answer is no then:

The film perforations are stripped off  and, it is not really advancing the
film. You keep exposing the 24th frame over and over.
Rewind the roll.  It should be ok except for the last couple of shots.

It it doesn't rewind normally (you hear a little noise when it pops off the
take-up spool, it is possible (but unlikely) that the film broke or was
torn in the middle but, since you have tension on the rewind crank that is
highly unlikely.

There are probably little bits of film from the stripped perforations inside
of the camera.   Make sure that you safely remove any stray bits that may be
lurking inside
the camera.

This is usually caused by advancing the film a little too hard.
The other thing that occurs is that you might rip the roll off of the spool
entirely.

The main points here are:

Advance the film gently and don't try to get that "25th" shot in.

Take up the slack in the rewind immediately after you load the camera
and make sure that it moves when you advance the film.