Re: [OM] Conkin, A or P?

Subject: Re: [OM] Conkin, A or P?
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:42:34 -0800 (PST)
Mike, the Cokin filter holders are the best deal but
not necessarily their supposed neutral density filters
(which they call "gray"). They range from a magenta to
green color cast, which you definitely don't want to
tinge your clouds. My favorite is the HiTech ND grad
in the Cokin P size. For a 21/3.5, the "A" size would
definitely vignette unless you held it up to the lens
by hand. If you insist on glass filters, only Tiffen
sells one although rather expensive. Singh Ray sells
one that is also a warming filter (nice for sunsets).
I also think that you need a hard edge rather than a
soft edge grad for your application.
Warren

--- Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been trying to get some wide shots with
> dramatic skies. (Hey, it's
> winter in the Pacific NW and any break in uniform
> grey is a photo op)
> Problem is when I expose for the clouds the
> land/water is way too dark.
> Hence the wish, no the definite _need_ for a
> graduated ND filter. But
> the only screw on gradND I've seen are divided down
> the middle which
> makes for a poor composition (IMHO) In theory I like
> the versatility of
> the Conkin type filters but have no first hand
> knowledge of or anywhere
> near to go check them out. So for a 21/3.5 what do I
> order? The P series
> or the A series? And I'm thinking a 4 stop grad. I'm
> shooting in the
> dark here so any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West

> List >
> < For questions,
> mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
> < Web Page: