Re: [OM] Conkin, A or P?

Subject: Re: [OM] Conkin, A or P?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:20:42 -0600
At 08:37 PM 1/8/2002 -0800, Mike you wrote:
 In theory I like the versatility of
the Conkin type filters but have no first hand knowledge of or anywhere
near to go check them out. So for a 21/3.5 what do I order? The P series
or the A series? And I'm thinking a 4 stop grad. I'm shooting in the
dark here so any advice would be appreciated.

The Conkin grad neutral density filters in size A (#120 and 121 IIRC) work well with Olympus. I have an adapter to use them with my 35-80/2.8 at the max 62mm filter size and I have no problems. The two filters (a 1x and 2x) provide a 3 stop difference. I guess you could buy two of the 2 stop units if you need 4 stops, but 3 stops is probably the max you'll need before it looks really obvious that you're doing something weird.

The ring adapters are available in 49mm, 55mm, and as I said 62mm to cover most Zuiks needs. I've used the Conkins with a 24/2.8 no problem. Don't know about the 21/3.5. I suspect vignetting might be a problem, but I don't know this.

I've seen some photographers using the P size grads without ring adapters and holders. They just hold the filter in front of the lens until they like the look and then shoot. That's a pretty cheap setup.

One issue with the Cokin grads is that they are darkest at the edge and lightest in the middle. If you are photographing a sunset, this is actually the opposite of what you really want, since the light is the most intense in the middle and then falls off towards the top somewhat. Galen Rowell sponsors a grad which is darkest in the middle and then graduates lighter to the edge to deal with this problem. I don't have one of these, but it's on my list. (I think it is made by Singh Ray?) Despite this caveat, the Cokins really work quite well in all but the most difficult situations.

I've had no problems with goofy non-neutral coloration personally.

I have found that auto exposure on OM-2S or OM-4 works OK using the Cokins shooting into the sun though one wants to bracket by opening up exposure compensation 2/3 - 1 1/3 stops. Dunno if exposing for a textured sky would require much if any exposure compensation. But do experiment with bracketing!

Joel W.