Re: [OM] re: [OT] why sleezy yucky zoom on new wonderbricks

Subject: Re: [OM] re: [OT] why sleezy yucky zoom on new wonderbricks
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:45:05 +1100
Unfortunately, Nikon and Canon had to go this road because their bodies
were being sold in bundles with Tamron and Sigma cheapies - they had to
produce their own cheap rubbish to compete.
To answer one question, I once took apart a Canon EOS 35-80 as it had a
loose diaphragm blade, hoping to fix it. The only piece of metal was the
guide rail on which the back lens group slide through the barrel and that
was a roughly guillotined piece of aluminium strap. The lightness and small
glass elements are necessary or the little AF motor can't shift them.
To answer another - I've seen a conscience stricken shop assistant try and
convince a customer that the more expensive lens was a MUCH better option -
they accused him of trying to do a 'bait and switch' on them. After all, it
was a Canon lens in the bundle so it must be good enough! The idea of
buying a cheaper body and a better lens was quite beyond them.
My favorite was the story of the guy who wanted to buy an EOS-1n because it
was a top pro camera and he had to have the best - and went looking for a
deal. Then he complained later that his pix were lousy. Some enterprising
soul sold him the body with the cheapest consumer zoom available on it to
make him a 'great deal.'
AndrewF