Re: [OM] That 100mm f2 BIN

Subject: Re: [OM] That 100mm f2 BIN
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:10:05 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, John Hermanson wrote:

> I'd avoid the acetone.  Denatured alcohol should be plenty.

You're right, acetone normally isn't called for, but when I said this
lens was filthy, I mean really filthy.  There were bits of "things" stuck
to the front element.  The alcohol wouldn't remove them, methanol managed
to remove most of them, and the acetone took care of the rest.  I guess
this lens had been sitting on a shelf for a long time without a front cap.
Luckily the seller didn't try to clean the lens before selling it, I'm
sure they would have damaged the front element if they had.
                                -mark