Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?

Subject: Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 17:05:24 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 nrky@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Was out last night taking pix of the moonrise of the last day/night
> of  2001 with my trusty -1, and was flabbergasted at the fact that
> when set on 1 second, the shutter would stay open for ~3 seconds...
> the 1/2 second, 1/4 and 1/8 second speeds were off as well... it sounded
> fine as soon as you got up to 1/15th, but all of these speeds were
> fine before (in warmer wx -- the body was out in 10~15ºf wx for about
> 45 minutes on a tripod before being used, so was pretty cold) Ended
> up using bulb and timing it that way...

It sounds like your slow speed escapement is running a bit slow.  All
speeds under 1/60 use the escapement mechanism for timing.  It's the part
that you hear whirring away as the shutter is open.  I would bet that your
1/15 and 1/30 are also off.

> I thought that cold wx was another place where Oly shined...this body had
> a CLA a little less than a year ago so I'm confused...maybe I should have
> used the -10, never had a problem with it in the cold (other than fogging
> of the lens) > *provided I have fresh batteries in it*

The OM-1's and OM-3's perform wonderfully in the cold.  -10C (that's about
10F right?) is nothing for these bodies.  I've used them for hours in -30C
to -35C temperatures and never had a problem.  I would suspect that either
the slow speed escapement wasn't cleaned as part of the CLA, or it was cleaned
and either over lubed or lubed with something that doesn't work well in the
cold.
                                        -mark