[OM] Wonderbricks R Us

Subject: [OM] Wonderbricks R Us
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 13:55:56 -0800 (PST)
I do consider the IS-3 to be a Wonderbrick.  However,
I usually have it in aperture priority mode so I can
have SOME semblence of control.

We had crossed paths with some friends of ours during
a vacation recently.  We took pictures of them, and
they of us.  They had one of these fancy new Pentax AF
SLRs.  Really nice unit.  I was actually finding
myself liking it and going through all sorts of mental
gymnastics.  I took a couple of identical pictures
with our IS-3 and the Pentax so we all could get
pictures of our girls with them.

We got an envelope from them the other day that
contained duplicate prints from their roll of film.
UGH!  We did a direct comparison and couldn't believe
the difference!  Since I took both sets of pictures
and used exactly the same settings to maximize
quality, I expected similar results.  Didn't happen.
Maybe the focus was off.  F8 at 50mm wasn't to blame,
besides, the lawn represented a distance range that
proved that nothing was absolutely sharp.  Enough
grain structure was visible with a lupe to verify that
it wasn't the printing either.

This isn't a blanket condemnation of Pentax, but this
particular unit was anything but stellar.  Makes me
even happier with my Zuikos, XA and the IS-3.

BTW, I middleman'd an IS-1 between T.S. and some other
friends of ours.  They are constantly showing me their
prints and I must admit that their IS-1 takes sharper
pictures than some of my Zuikos and the IS-3.

The IS series really is pretty decent.  Except they
don't have chrome rims.

AG-Schnozz