RE: [OM] Well, I went to the store to compare the Canon G2 and th e Niko

Subject: RE: [OM] Well, I went to the store to compare the Canon G2 and th e Nikon 5000 and bought the
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:15:02 -0700
 and another digital camera purchase here; Kodak DC3800. 2.1mp, and
basically no other features.. autofocus, enable/disable/redeye flash
control, 'macro' setting, and that's the lot.

 Despite this, I'm very pleased with it -- sure, I don't have much control
over anything other than composition (and no DOF control there) but what I
do get is a camera where I'll take photos fast, rather than missing chances
because I'm spending time thinking about the shot.

 I _really_ like being able to take shots without needing to worry about
what happens if it comes out badly. Sure, the cost of a single shot of film
and developing is pretty tiny, but it's not nothing; the digital reduces
that cost to nothing. (okay, there's the cost of electricity to charge the
batteries..)

 It's not going to come _close_ to replacing the OM -- but, as other people
have said, as a camera that I can carry with me everywhere, it's fantastic.
Small, cheap (CDN$250), and easy to use.

 As for the camera (rather than person) side of things, it's surprisingly
good. Resolution isn't colossal, but it's plenty for shots-for-the-web,
which is basically what I want to use it for -- it's decently sharp, exposes
nicely, fast to respond, the ergonomics are good. It's also a great camera
to give to other people to use -- if I hand someone else the OM, the chances
of them getting the shot to work are not great. They can't really get it
wrong with a point-and-shoot like this.

 Samples:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/index.php?currDir=./kodak_dc3800 --
the 'smaller' link at the top takes you to the a page of same photos, scaled
down 50% to save on bandwidth.

 OM content -- last three shots.. (of which the lens in the first two is
what santa brought me for Xmas..)

 -- dan