Re: [OM] Xtreme photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Xtreme photos
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:45:39 +0000
At 20:19 12/30/01, Brian Swale wrote:
Hello fellow photographers,

Now is the season for extreme photo opportunities.

According to the TV (which, despite my protestations to the contrary I
sometimes watch briefly - mainly "news"), there has been - maybe still are -
fluffy snowstorms in the NE USA; pictures of mobile scoops acting in lieu of
snowploughs, powder-snow falling on windscreens faster than wipers can
shift it. And who knows what else.

Buffalo, New York and the surrounding area of New York and Pennsylvania have been inundated with snow. They are rapidly approaching the average annual snowfall and haven't even gotten out of December yet! To think my other half and I normally spend Christmas in the northern edge of Pennsylvania about halfway between Erie PA and Buffalo NY. Not quite so bad there, but the drive to and from Indiana goes across Ohio through Cleveland skirting the lake and getting the "lake effect" heavy snow. Glad we didn't do it this year!

Not quite as Xtreme as getting close to a wildfire (not recommended; I've been near them in California; very, very dangerous!).

Went out this evening after dusk to photograph the lights at Monument Circle in the center of Indianapolis. Temperatures were about +15 F (-10 C) with a good stiff 10-15 MPH breeze. Don't know what the wind chill was, but it had to be below zero [F]. Spent about 2 hours photographing the monument (an enormously tall War memorial), the state capitol and some of the lights around the monument.

Used Ektachrome 160T (tungsten Kodachrome hasn't existed in some time). It's the first time I've tried tungsten film for something like this, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. By the time I was done I could feel the cold sucking all the heat out through the bottom of my heavy shoes and wool socks. Handling camera, lenses and tripod sucks the heat out of the hand through heavy gloves. Amazingly, the OM-2S held up very well. No battery failure (from the intense cold)! Had the 160T loaded from doing some indoor shots just before Christmas and was thinking it would have been better to use the mechanical OM-1n which won't die in sub-freezing weather.

No, I didn't use my fingertip on the shutter release. I used a cable release and kept my already chilled fingertips inside the heavily lined gloves!

Xtreme?  Probably not.  Xtremely cold though!

-- John