Re: [OM] XA Praise 'vignetting'

Subject: Re: [OM] XA Praise 'vignetting'
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:13:31 -0800
The threads on the XA, light fall off in lenses, vignnetting, etc. are facinating. One point that I haven't seen is that the XA's use of 'reverse retro-focus' design (which I don't pretent to understand) accomplished something unique, a lens that doesn't need to move in order to be ready to take pictures. The Rollei and Minox are clever designs, but require the lens to be manually moved into shooting position, with all the potential for trouble that entails. The only trouble I've ever had with a contemporary zoom P&S is with the complex and delicate lens extension mechanism. I suspect the light fall off in the corners is an intentional compromise to obtain the remarkable short back focus of this lens, which allowed the exceptionally rugged and compact overall camera design.

Moose

Jim Couch wrote:

I think the XA is a wonderful camera. I have owned one since they first came
out. It
is often hard to tell if a photo was taken with the XA or the OMs. I rarely use
the