Re: [OM] T series vs METZ Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] T series vs METZ Flash
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:59:26 +0100
: I wish to get a flashgun for my OM4Ti and OM2n. I've heard many good
things
: about the T series and will be getting a T32. Recently some mention of
Metz has
: also been going on in the list. In order to further my flash education,
what
: are the opinions of Metz Flashes versus the T -series.

The Metz 40MZ2 & 40MZ3 flashes controlled with the SCA 321 are fully
compatible with the T Series of flashes, i.o.w. you can combine them (unlike
the F280). They obviously don't have a T cord connector, to the T20 TTL
connector might be a nice accessory. They are bigger and heavier than the
T32, but have more power, a much more modern design (no more flipping panels
and slide bars) and much more capabilities. For daylight fill-in flash for
instance the full range of Normal Auto apertures and continuous manual GN
settings are very convenient. The head swivel for vertical shots using the
ceiling, and the secundary reflector are very useful. The built-in zoom
amplifier obviously is much more comfortable to use than the Zoom Adapter
T32. There's also a stroboscopic mode, probably less useful. For the super
wides < 24mm you'll want an Omni-Bounce or the stick-in diffuser.

: I used to have a Metz 45 CL4 that I used with my manual and AF Nikons. I
hated
: it because it was so difficult to control, and the exposures were always
off in
: Auto and TTL mode. So I dont have too great an opinion on Metz as a brand.
: Maybe they'll be better for Olympus.

Don't know about that. Do N****s offer OTF flash metering and why not? ;)

hnz