Re: [OM] T series vs METZ Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] T series vs METZ Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 00:24:45 +0000
At 01:40 12/29/01, adi asked:

Hi,

forgive me if my question sounds obvious, wish to clear some doubts.

does the Metz flash have the same funtionality as the T series flash? In other words, if you pluck on both and shoot the same scene, will the results be identical? I assume that the OM body still uses OTF metering for both.

Any of the current models that use an SCA 300 System module will operate TTL/OTF if you put an SCA-321 on it. IOW, it will shoot the same scene with the same identical results in TTL Mode. This assumes the flashes are operating properly.

If you operate it in Auto mode (aka Normal Auto) using the flash unit's on-board sensor, it may behave a little differently based on sensor angle of acceptance differences between Metz' and Olympus' designs for the sensors.

Also, are there any benefits of getting a T series flash over the Metz?

Two models come to mind that are similar to the T-32:

(1) Metz 32Z-2:
With an SCA-321 foot it is about as close as any third party has come to making an Olympus T-32 clone. Although the controls are a little different, they both have approximately the same set of features, flash power, and size/shape are very similar. The Metz (once you add the SCA-321 module) has the zoom head built-in, and it swivels left/right in addition to tilting up and down. These are two features the T-32 doesn't have. The 32Z-3 is like the 32Z-2 with an AF beam which cannot be used by the OM system, and the zoom is motorized. The AF beam is a wasted feature, and the OM's cannot control the power zoom (can also be adjusted manually), but if you find one used at a good price don't pass it up just because its not a 32Z-2.

(2) Metz 40MZ-2 and 40MZ-3:
These are big brothers to the 32Z-3 (AF version of the 32Z-2) with a GN of about 131 (in feet @ ISO 100) compared to the T-32 GN of 105. Even though they follow the low profile design of the 32Z's, they are bigger and heavier. The zoom head covers a wider range, and the "Auto" mode is much more variable in its power settings. The 40MZ-3 has a small secondary flash that can be switched on to provide up to 10 0irect fill when using bounce. You might not think the higher GN is that much, but with films like Kodachrome 64 it makes a difference. Also makes a difference between being able to use ISO 160 instead of ISO 400 when working longer distances at receptions. IMHO, the 40MZ-3 is what Olympus should have done as a successor to the T-32 instead of the F280!

I have used T-32's for some time now, and would not replace them with Metz 32Z-2's just to get Metz units. I just bought a 40MZ-3i primarily for the higher guide number and the secondary flash tube was also a desired feature. Even so I have no plans to sell the pair of T-32's. They'll see use as backups to the 40MZ, when I want a flash with smaller size/weight, and in the Shoe 4 on the OM-1n. I don't recommend using a flash the size/weight of the 40MZ-2/3 in any of the OM-1[n]/2[n] shoes. It's too heavy for the shoe. Metz makes the G16 Power Grip flash handle very similar to the OM BG-2. Both the 32Z or 40Z flashes fit the G16. If you happen to find a G15 used (G16 predecessor), it works with the OM system just as the G16 does.

Metz flashes similar to the T-45:
If you're looking for something similar to a T-45 potato masher, the 45CL-4 would be Metz' equivalent. The more powerful big brother is the 60CT-4 with a whopping GN of 197. This is more flash power than any of the Olympus "T" series and is almost the equivalent of 4 T-32's!

-- John