[OM] John/Clint? - DOF Problem on 35-70mm Lens

Subject: [OM] John/Clint? - DOF Problem on 35-70mm Lens
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 17:33:11 -0500
Hi John, Clint or anyone else with input to my problem -

I received a 35-70, f3.6 lens in the mail today. The glass is in great shape and the body shows light use with no apparent abuse but the lens does have a depth of field preview problem. When I took it out of the shipping box the DOF button was stuck in the depressed position and, as I turned the aperture ring, the blades would stop down. I mounted it on a camera body and it still acted the same way. I removed it from the body and worked the diaphragm lever on the rear of the lens mount a few times. It was a little stiff at first but it freed up. Now the diaphragm doesn't open/close when I turn the aperture ring but the DOF preview button is out (the normal position) but strongly resists being pushed in. I mounted it back on the body and the lens seems to work properly other than the DOF preview button being stuck.

So, I was wondering - before I contact the seller- is this something I might have a chance of correcting myself or would it need to be looked at by a professional? If a pro fixes it what would be the approximate charge?

Thanks for any advice that is forthcoming.

Johnny