Re: [OM] Kodachrome - new thread

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome - new thread
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:20:52 +0000
At 21:05 12/14/01, Brian Swale wrote:
Hello fellow Zuiks,

This is a topic that has concerned me for some time - like 3 years or more.

Kodachrome IMHO is perhaps the best slide film around. It is the only one
left that uses the process it does. The material is of legendary long-life. I
have ASA 25 slides that are nearly 50 years old and have lost nothing of their colour and sharpness. I like the very natural colour rendition.

Is there any other film?

I guess, after  New Zealand's political history over the last 20 years, I'm
sensitive to perceptions of conspiracy. BUT; be that as it may, recently,
several times after an OM  group member sent us a post from the
Kodachrome group, I tried to join the Kodachrome group. Nix, Nudda. No
reply. Not after several requests to join. I wonder if Kodak have placed an
embargo on discussion about Kodachrome from within NZ?

I still want to join that group.

No conspiracy (that I'm aware of). It does take some time to get added (usually a number of days). It's not automagic as with many mail lists. I believe your request goes to the list administrator who must then manually add you.

So I'm posting this to let you know that in my opinion, Kodachrome is under
a persistent, subtle pressure to die. If photographers value it, use it, and tell Kodak how good it is.

I'd like to see comment on this, if people have any thoughts. (I mean about
Kodachrome - I know you have thoughts ;-)  )

Just gave mine above  :-))
My opine about Kodak's apparent desire to kill it off (based Kodak's support of its processing and their actions regarding its availability) are rather blunt. In short, it's one of the finest color films ever devised. K-25 was one of the finest grained films made and had the highest apparent sharpness of any chrome film. K-64 isn't far behind it. Some of this has to do with my long posting about how thin emulsions enhance sharpness.

It would be nice to see some MTF curves for this film in combination with some of the highest resolving Zuiko's . . . especially compared to a film such as Provia 100F which touts a finer grain but IMO isn't as sharp. I would bet Provia 100F's MTF fall-off in lpmm occurs before K-64's (using the *exact* same body and lens; MTF is a function of the system as a whole, lens and film together).

-- John