RE: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?

Subject: RE: [OM] OT - 'VEGINAR'?
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:11:03 -0000
Yup, was just going to say same thing.  Big UK chain of high-street stores.
Sells largely cosmetics, etc., often has a chemists/prescription counter and
normally a photo developing machine.  Have had some strangely good results
from their 1 hour developing actually, which I did not expect !!

They also sell own-brand (although I'm sure someone else makes them and they
just label them - see string from last week about OEM, etc.) P&S cameras,
film (yeuch ! - it really is poo !), disposable cameras (!!), and
(apparently !) slide projectors too !!  I would suppose that this slide
projector, like their cameras, is made by someone else for them and
re-badged.  Does it bear any resemblance to well-known named-brands ?

Actually, having said that, it could be just the innards that are the same,
with a custom outer-casing.  My Internal CD-Writer is a HP, but it's innards
are a Sony with different software !!  (I know this as I had to re-blow the
Flash memory with Sony software to make it work with 80 min discs !!  Now it
works but has a personality crisis !!)  Same with my HP Laser Printer - it's
a Canon in disguise.

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions.  Regarding it's quality, I
would say that these days Boots aim at the average joe bloggs who wants
something cheap that does the job rather than something of excellent quality
(certainly regarding photo equipment anyway - can't comment on the quality
of their make-up !).  Don't know what they were like for quality 20 years
ago, though .... Things were generally better here then anyway, quality-wise
!!  (IMHO)

Regards,
Jon