Re: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]

Subject: Re: [OM] Gold 100? [OT Rant]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:11:57 +0000
At 13:54 12/10/01, Roger wrote:

Is that such a huge figure?  I reckon that works out to about 1.5 rolls
of film per US citizen.  I'd love to know how much film was actually
used.  Any ideas?

Roger

I'm wondering if "images captured" really equates to what *would* have been shot using film (true "opportunity lost"). I strongly suspect the number of digital "images captured" is significantly higher than the number frames the same people would have shot if using film. Film has a processing and printing cost that doesn't exist with digital "image capturing." This tends to prevent excessive use of film.

I'm basing this supposition on the effect seen when moving from small format (35mm or APS) to medium format, and from medium format to large format. The cost per film frame consumed grows. The larger the film format, the stronger the motive to get it "right" using fewer frames. Yes, there are other effects that slow the "burn rate" down, but I believe cost is the biggest influence on total number of frames used.

-- John