Re: [OM] Trouble in OM Paradise - Sports Photography-LONG!

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM Paradise - Sports Photography-LONG!
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:26:31 -0800

Just because "everyone" out there uses new AF equipment doesn't mean your OM system is obsolete. A 350mm or 400Mmm telephoto is in order, though, as you'll need some reach for a soccer pitch or whatever the outdoor venue is. And and a motor drive is a given for sports photogs, and you should have one for each body you carry.

I think converters are a waste in most respects but if the work you do is for halftone reproduction then the degradation of quality just won't matter and you'll effectively double your reach. If you shoot fast film (Fujipress 800 pushed seems to be the popular choice, though I also like the 1600 stuff) and assuming the venue's decently lit at night speed will not be an issue with even the slowest Zuiko lenses.

You'll do fine as long as you have an eye for sports and learn to anticipate the action.

Tris

Well, I have to agree with you there. Now those three systems mentioned there are excellent camera systems - quite rival to the OM System except for Macro maybe.

The reason I agree is for sports photography. My good friend is a recognised sports photographer for the Australian National Soccer League (NSL) and Australian Football League (AFL - aussie rules). Yes, he uses the all the latest N****, F5 and all the rest. Eg, about $AUD 100 000 worth of lenses, from 8mm to 600mm.

He has looked at my equipment and also agrees it is seriously excellent stuff, but doubts that it shoul be used for sports photography. He said there is no one in the world of photography 'now days' that uses manual focus. He said, if I want to take it up, i need to buy a whole new system!

Recently, I have had opportunities at the Australian National Soccer Legue. But what has limited me (eg, MONEY) is equipment for the OM's. Well, I proved him wrong one night and took some good pics for Perth Glory. Unfortunately, I did run into problems, such as needing a fast, long focal length Zuiko (eg, 350mm 2.8) and a motor drive. I could only use my 135 MC 2.8 (buetiful lens I have to say) and just a trusty OM-2n. I was a little embarassed compared to the rest of the guys, but some of the pics justified the cameras capability. One camera guy came up to me and said, 'well its good to see youve got the balls and good eyes to do this all night'. I had to laugh. Well, he liked the gear I had to laugh -probably brought back memories.

For this I would need a 350/2.8. God that sounds good. I could do it, not with ease, but with perfect practice and half the use of rolls as compared to the other MF N**** and C**** users.

What is getting me then is speed between pictures. Eg, keeping your finger down on the new systems can use a whole role of film (36 exposures) in less than 15 seconds. THis would mean that I would need a Motor Drive 1 or 2 (for OM-2n) rather than Winder and a new (preffered) OM-4 Ti for the metering and extra shutter speed options. Also, a 2 x Converter for the 350 2.8 would be good for extra close ups on faces (except for night games). This would make it then a 700mm f5.6 - wouldn't it?. If so, it would be perfect for Australian Rules Football, larger fields than soccer fields. Thats a serious focal length for that kind of apeture capability.

Well some maths. I would need, or would rather new than second hand (for true reliability reasons - there is no short cuts in sports photography, you either have it or you dont).

1 x 350 2.8 = AUD$ 14 - 15 500.

1 x MD 1 (or 2) = probably > AUD $1500

1 x 2X Olympus Converter = probably AUD$ 750 - 1250

1 x OM-4 Ti = AUD $2800 ~ 3200

We already have there AUD $20 000 ~ 22 000.

In addition to all my other lenses for the OM system, ill cover the focal range thoroughly between 28mm to 175mm. Therefore, a 350mm 2.8 with 2X converter would be a good decision if a lens like that where to be purchased (700mm - wow).

The only system I would but into for Sports Photography that does get money back for your purchase would have to be N****.

Seriously though, I would like to defy all odds and use manual my OM gear, purchasing pricey new OM system gear for this sort of work - or am I being a little stupid.

I would have to get a loan for either - but what would anyone recommend on the list. At worst I would buy the N**** gear and yes, KEEP THE OM SYSTEM FOR SURE.

Confused and dont know what to do!

Damo