[OM] Trouble in OM Paradise - Sports Photography-LONG!

Subject: [OM] Trouble in OM Paradise - Sports Photography-LONG!
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:29:34 +1100 (EST)
AG-Schnozz wrote:

I'm a firm believer in autofocus and some of the features that
depend upon it.  If I were to switch 35mm systems it would be
for a Nikon F5.  But with digital screaming onto the scene and
the siren song of medium format calling, I'll probably go Mamiya
or Contax 645AF.  Changing 1000ver to any new 35mm system
makes about as much sense as buying a new non-HDTV entertainment
center here in the states or buying Enron stock.

I'd still be tickled pink to get a 15 year old 350/2.8 for my
OMs.

Well, I have to agree with you there. Now those three systems mentioned there
are excellent camera systems - quite rival to the OM System except for Macro
maybe.

The reason I agree is for sports photography. My good friend is a recognised
sports photographer for the Australian National Soccer League (NSL) and
Australian Football League (AFL - aussie rules). Yes, he uses the all the
latest N****, F5 and all the rest. Eg, about $AUD 100 000 worth of lenses, from
8mm to 600mm.

He has looked at my equipment and also agrees it is seriously excellent stuff,
but doubts that it shoul be used for sports photography. He said there is no
one in the world of photography 'now days' that uses manual focus. He said, if
I want to take it up, i need to buy a whole new system!

Recently, I have had opportunities at the Australian National Soccer Legue. But
what has limited me (eg, MONEY) is equipment for the OM's. Well, I proved him
wrong one night and took some good pics for Perth Glory. Unfortunately, I did
run into problems, such as needing a fast, long focal length Zuiko (eg, 350mm
2.8) and a motor drive. I could only use my 135 MC 2.8 (buetiful lens I have to
say) and just a trusty OM-2n. I was a little embarassed compared to the rest of
the guys, but some of the pics justified the cameras capability. One camera guy
came up to me and said, 'well its good to see youve got the balls and good eyes
to do this all night'. I had to laugh. Well, he liked the gear I had to laugh
-probably brought back memories.

For this I would need a 350/2.8. God that sounds good. I could do it, not with
ease, but with perfect practice and half the use of rolls as compared to the
other MF N**** and C**** users.

What is getting me then is speed between pictures. Eg, keeping your finger down
on the new systems can use a whole role of film (36 exposures) in less than 15
seconds. THis would mean that I would need a Motor Drive 1 or 2 (for OM-2n)
rather than Winder and a new (preffered) OM-4 Ti for the metering and extra
shutter speed options. Also, a 2 x Converter for the 350 2.8 would be good for
extra close ups on faces (except for night games). This would make it then a
700mm f5.6 - wouldn't it?. If so, it would be perfect for Australian Rules
Football, larger fields than soccer fields. Thats a serious focal length for
that kind of apeture capability.

Well some maths. I would need, or would rather new than second hand (for true
reliability reasons - there is no short cuts in sports photography, you either
have it or you dont).

1 x 350 2.8 = AUD$ 14 - 15 500.

1 x MD 1 (or 2) = probably > AUD $1500

1 x 2X Olympus Converter = probably AUD$ 750 - 1250

1 x OM-4 Ti = AUD $2800 ~ 3200

We already have there AUD $20 000 ~ 22 000.

In addition to all my other lenses for the OM system, ill cover the focal range
thoroughly between 28mm to 175mm. Therefore, a 350mm 2.8 with 2X converter
would be a good decision if a lens like that where to be purchased (700mm -
wow).

The only system I would but into for Sports Photography that does get money
back for your purchase would have to be N****.

Seriously though, I would like to defy all odds and use manual my OM gear,
purchasing pricey new OM system gear for this sort of work - or am I being a
little stupid.

I would have to get a loan for either - but what would anyone recommend on the
list. At worst I would buy the N**** gear and yes, KEEP THE OM SYSTEM FOR SURE.

Confused and dont know what to do!

Damo