RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question

Subject: RE: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:54:34 -0500
I was discussing this issue with a factory Leica repair guy severa weeks ago. He had the circuits out the table of the latest R8 and the 1980's vintage R4. It was obvious that the newer models were much more sturdy, with almost all the componants surface mounted, silicon IC's. The older boards had wires, capacitors, resistors, etc.

His assertation was that yes, the R4 circuits can be repaired, but the newer R8 ones are farm more reliable. More resistant to moisture, more flexible and resistant to imact damage, and consisted of fewer componants.

So does this mean that for electronically-controlled cameras, newer means more reliable, at least for pro-caliber equipment?

Skip