Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:50:41 -0800
Hard to say for sure, but circuit boards of some description exist in
all modern cameras, if for nothing else than run the TTL metering. My
original OM-2 (which my daughter now owns) was purchased new over  20
years ago and it is going fine. This camera was my main user camera for
15 years or so, backpacking, climbing, cycling. It has been absolutely
reliable. My brother has a used OM-2 that is older than that, and it is
fine as well. My current 2n was purchased used about 4 years ago. The
OM-2/2n cameras are IMHO one of the most reliable Om bodies out there,
probably more so than the OM1 if you count the metering system. Yes,
because it is mechanical the OM-1 will keep ticking if the electronics
fail, but I think that the electronics in the OM2/2n are more reliable.
Perhaps Clint or John could address this with more accurate statistical
data. In over 20 years of Olympus use, the only cameras that have failed
me in any way (other than an OM-2 that was abused - i.e. dropped 50 ft)
are my original OM-1 (meter died) and my original OM-2s. The original
OM-2s was a real battery eater and left me with a near dead camera (no
meter 1/60s manual) on more than one climbing trip. My current
collection (OM-1, OM-2n, OM-2s, and OM-4T) have been very reliable.

I still trust the OM-2n the most. I suppose it is a long history with
the OM-2 cameras. I like the auto exposure when I am climbing, and the
batteries last next to forever in the OM-2. I can put a new set of
batteries in the 2n and head into the hills with total confidence in the
camera body.