[OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question

Subject: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise:Bigger question
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:36:06 -0600
Bill,

It is not only the circuit board, but it is the life time of
the integrated circuit chip(s) and other components
used in any of consumer products such as TV's, VCR's,
the Walkman's, PC's and the P&S cameras we are
talking about.

I do not have all of the details/facts in handy, but I am
sure that there is someone in this List who has access
to this kind of info.  We are talking on consumer
products, not defence/military.  It is a complete
different story.

My guess would be any consumer products are
to last at least 7 years under 'normal' usage.
Again this is my guess - I'm sure that there
are sets of international standards (such as
JEDEC) exist for these life-time spec.

Another point I want to make is that those
corporations are for profit.  Nikon, for example is
a corporation with diverse products (maybe not
as diverse as such as GE or SONY).  Maybe they
are able to absorb some of the profit losses with
consolidated book keeping.  Remember, Nikon is
one of a very few stepper and photocopy venders for
the semiconductor manufacturers and other industries.

Jim Terazawa