[OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?

Subject: [OM] Flare redux: Sun Stars?
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:42:06 -0600
I was following recent discussions on flare (a little bit). How are sun stars
affected by flare?  Are they a type of flare in themselves?

Here are a couple shots in which I was trying to get a sun star:

http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/sunstar.html

You get a "natural" sun star by stopping way down (f16 or more) and shooting
just as the sun breaks over a barrier of some kind. (I do realize that there
are filters that produce these things, but I'd rather not use them.)

The first of these photos -- the Thumb in Monumental Valley area -- has a
pretty good star.  Is that because it was taken more in the telephoto range of
the lens?  I wish the star in the Lake of the Clouds photo was a little
bigger.  I'm assuming the size is proportional to the size of the sun itself
in each photo, but it really seems like the Thumb's sun star is not just
proportionately bigger, but even bigger than that.

So I guess these are my questions:

1. Is this kind of sun star a type of flare?
2. What effect might the lens coating have on the creation of sun stars?
3. Does the position of the sun in the sky affect their size?  (The Thumb shot
was made mid-day whereas the Lake of the Clouds shot is at dawn.)

Joel W.