Re: [OM] The SC MC Debate again

Subject: Re: [OM] The SC MC Debate again
From: zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:00:58 -0500
Well the difference in Single Coated and Multicoated lenses makes a  big
difference for me when I do UltraViolet photography using Fuji 64 Tungsten
balanced film and a UV transmitting filter like the Schott UG-1 filter (B&W
403).  I still get some UV effects with the MC lenses
but UV transmittance is better with Single Coated.
A Botanist named Bjorn Rorslett has some excellent pages about this
on his site (NAERFOTO) at http://www.foto.no/nikon/index2_PC.html
Since there are no Quartz Zuikos, I rely on my single coated 55 f1.2 Zuiko.  By
the way I tried some comparison photos with the UV (UG-1) filter and Wratten 85
on my IS-3 using the Fuji 64 T film and the Ultraviolet were a disappointment
for me.
Well, I really like the IS-3 for Visible light, and I'm hoping that
it will work out for infrared, too.

-- Hank
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> <P>Hi guys!<P>Olaf,
<P>I like your work with regards to the SC and MC debate. It makes you, the
photographer think weather or not a SC or MC lens should be used in a certain
condition entailing the 'correct' use of light. There is mainly one word here
to refer to (as well as your creative intuition), the PHYSICS OF LIGHT. Ask
ourselves, what would be the difference if light were to pass through a single
coated or multi-coated lens.
<P>Well ive done that and have a reasonable idea. But I want to put my
questions to those whom have had much more experiences than my 10 month
affair with photography and 'Olyzuiko' equipment.
<P>I have three MC lenses, a MC 135mm 2.8 (my favourite), MC 50mm 1.8 and MC
50mm 3.5 MACRO out the other 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4 (SN > 1** ***) and 75-150mm
4.
<P>I hardly use the MC 50mm 1.8. Maybe I should be using it more often
(especially in flaring light conditions).
<P>What sort of situations (due to light of course) should I use it, in
preference of my SC 50mm 1.8. I am thinking along the same conditions as the
ones you presented with the wide angle lenses.
<P>To my knowledge of physics, would I be correct saying (in some conditions)
that the SC has advantages with skin tones rather than MC lenses. Also, when
applying the MC lenses to night photography, how should they be used, if at
all.
<P>Cheers again guys,
<P>Good material on the OM listing at the moment. Keep it up guys.
<P>Damo>
> Damon Wood
> Dip. Technology (Applied Science)
> Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre (AMTC)
> Sustainable Development (BSc)
> Undergraduate Student
> Murdoch University
> Secretary M.C.C. WASTCA
> <A TARGET="Link"
> href="http://au.rd.yahoo.com/mailwelcome/?http://au.shopping.yahoo.com/";
> target=_blank>Yahoo! Shopping</A>
- Get organised for Christmas early this year!