[OM] 4Ti & 90 Macro (woes)

Subject: [OM] 4Ti & 90 Macro (woes)
From: "Bob Whitmire" <rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:07:23 -0500
Lots of mirror hang-ups with the 4Ti. At first I thought it was because of
the cold. But then it happened quite a few times during recent warm spells.
So I thought maybe it was something in the mirror mechanism or the circuit,
as it seemed to happen more with film in the camera than without. Sort of
waiting in hopes my 2n would return from CLA before sending the 4Ti back to
the dealer for repairs. But today, I was out with the camera and the 90
Zuiko macro and the mirror hung a lot. Like almost every shot. The battery
power check was fine. Long, steady tone. Each time the mirror hung I pressed
the lens mounting button to return the mirror. The two times I tried putting
the camera on the mechanical 60th setting, which also is supposed to return
the mirror, it didn't. Nor did flipping the battery check lever up return
the mirror, as per the manual instructions. However, while fiddling with the
manual 60th setting, I inadvertently pressed the depth-of-field preview
button, and presto! the mirror returned. Each time it hung after that I
returned it with the depth of field button. This suggests to me the problem
may actually be in the lens rather than the camera, because since getting
the 90 macro, it's all I've shot with. The camera has hung a few times with
other lenses as well, but nothing like with the 90.

Both were bought used and both are still under warranty, the lens less so
than the camera. My inclination is to send them both back so as not to take
chances, unless more knowledgeable folks than I wade in. Is there something
about the lens coupling that would cause the mirror to hang, and then return
when the DOF preview was pressed?

Thanks,

--Bob W