Re: [OM] Bellows macro lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Bellows macro lenses
From: "John A. Prosper" <JAProsper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:52:07 -0800
I own the 38/2.8 macro, bought from list member, C.H. Ling, in Mint-
condition.  Unfortunately, I haven't used it as much as I would have liked
due to other pressing matters I am attending to at the moment.

The 38/2.8 (the newer version anyway) gives about 1.1:1 magnification (M)
when attached directly to the OM camera body all by itself.  The 14mm
extension tube (ET) with the 38/2.8 yields a 1.7X to 1.8X M, using the fine
focusing ring on the lens itself.  (The 7mm ET is too shallow to accommodate
the 38/2.8 on the body by itself.)  The 25mm ET provides a 2X to 2.2X M.
The telescopic auto tube has a 3.1X to 4.5X M range.

Since noted outdoor photographer, John Shaw, points out that 4X is about the
best one can hope for in the chaotic environment of the great outdoors, the
38/2.8 probably represents the limit for convenient outdoor macro
photography in an OM mount.  (The 20/2 would seem to be better suited for
indoor macro work.)  I also own the 90/2 macro and plan to eventually snare
a 50/2 to use as a great all around lens.  I don't expect to go further with
the macro lenses at this point, although I have been known to change my
mind. ;-)