Re: [OM] shift vs shift/tilt

Subject: Re: [OM] shift vs shift/tilt
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:50:26 +0000
At 20:04 12/2/01, Paul Farrar wrote:
Consider shooting a tabletop shot. You tilt the lens down to make the zone in
focus lie more parallel to the table, then adjust the back tilt for keystoning correction. With a shift, you can shift up, then point the axis of the camera body down so that the back (and the lens) lies more parallel to the table. This is largely equivalent to a tilt. Then you could use Panorama Tools to undo the resulting (reversed) keystoning. PT can change lens projection, but not where the focus was; so use your camera and lens for that. I've tried it; it works. But since I don't have Photoshop, I can't do the keystone correction yet, so I only get the tilt effect.

This could work with the "tabletop" macro you cite, but I don't think it would work that well with a landscape containing great depth. The problem is the range of distances for which critical focus is desired are at least several orders of magnitude larger. There is far more change in critical focus distance across the image circle by tilting the film back with respect to the lens board. In a quick "mind experiment, a "great depth" landscape outdoors would require a very significant tilt and an enormous shift with a lens having an equally enormous image circle.

However, I'm going to remember this trick for macros and try the 35/2.8 shift with an extension tube some time just to see what the perspective and DOF looks like through the viewfinder.

-- John