Re: [OM] shift vs shift/tilt

Subject: Re: [OM] shift vs shift/tilt
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:46:20 +1100
>At 15:05 12/2/01, Alan asked:
>
>>What exactly are the advantages of a shift lens vs shift/tilt lens? The
>>zuiko 24 shift is suppose to be very good. The canon is suppose to be
>>reasonable (but all reports I've read indicate it is optically inferior
>>to the zuiko). On the other hand it also supports a tilt mechanism
>>(which I think the zuiko lacks).
>>
>>Alan
>
>The tilt allows variation of the critical focus distance across the film
>plane.  A traditional landscape with very, very close foreground and very,
>very distant background is a classic example for using it.  By tilting the
>lens down (or by tilting the back up; it's all relative), the bottom part
>of the image will have a closer critical focus distance than the upper part
>of the image.
>
>Nearly all primes are focused at some distance closer than infinity by
>moving the lens farther from the film plane.  Remember that images are
>inverted and reversed on the film in the camera(top of image is on bottom
>of film in camera, and left/right are reversed).  The greater the tilt, the
>greater the difference.
>
>This is one of the things a large format technical view camera can do that
>almost none of the MF and 35mm small format systems can.  AFIK, Can*n's
>tilt lenses are the only ones that allow this in 35mm work.
>
>-- John

That Zork ball device should give some tilt but surpisingly little seems to
be required. There was an article in a magazine here about someone who was
using a Rolleiflex with a cut film back and made up some wedges to create a
fixed tilt on the film holder for deep focus landscapes. He found that a
wedge only 1mm thick was quite adequate for most purposes.
AndrewF